[wi-sun rlmmwg] Discussion on Frame Format

Benjamin A. Rolfe ben at blindcreek.com
Thu Sep 10 20:56:40 PDT 2015

Hello Ryota, all
I am sorry I have not been attending the RLMM teleconference calls and
so some of my questions may have been answered during discussion, but
for the chance that it helps I  will offer them here.

Addressing: It  appears that the RLMM header always contains a
destination and source address. Is there a case (single hop?) where
these address values would be identical to the addresses contained in
the MHR?

The first 2 bits of the dispatch appear  always set to NALP in the
figure as no other values  are specified. Are there to be other states?

We have 2 bits to signal that a frame is a command frame or a data
frame.  I am possibly confused by the use of "data frame" and "command
frame" as there is a frame type field in the MHR that distinguishes
between data frames and command frames. I am not sure if this is meant
to echo what is in the MHR or is it is intended to signal something
different.  It also  seems that these conditions are mutually exclusive
and  so a single bit could be used to  differentiate.

General comment on  dispatch:  There has been quite some history of
discussion on protocol differentiation with 802.15.4 MAC payload
content.  The general issue arises when  there is a reasonable
expectation that some devices may be in the same radio SOI are not
running the same higher layer protocol and so it is likely that valid
MAC frames may be received that contain payload field content which does
not include the "header" you are expecting, a condition not detectable
without some common signalling mechanism between "your" protocol and the
"other" protocol.  One solution which has come out of the 802.15 Working
Group and been adopted by the Wi-SUN FAN specification is to encapsulate
the differentiated protocol content in an Information Element which
includes a standardized means to signal differentiated  protocol.  The
advantage of this method is that a device that does not implement the IE
will  of course never generate a frame containing it.   The disadvantage
is 3 octets  of overhead to encapsulate the content.

Hope that these comments help!

Ben