[wi-sun rlmmwg] [SPAM] Re: Security Features in RLMM Profile 1v01

Noriyuki SATO sato652 at oki.com
Wed Jun 29 23:55:33 PDT 2016

Yamada-san, Verotiana and all,

I apologize that I joined the call late today and I couldn’t attend last conference call.

I've checked incoming frame procedure of IEEE802.15.4 and found following things.
A. There is two options to check frame counter
  1.  Per Device; Min frame counter is managed for neighbor devices
  2.  Per Key; Min frame counter is managed for pair of neighbor and key_id
I've found frame counter is incremented per device (and per key). That means that frame counter is not shared.
It depends on number of frames which the most frequent sender sends but it doesn’t depend on the number of neighbors.

Sorry that I may say wrong thing in last but one call.

B. Frame counter is defined as 4 bytes counter in IEEE802.15.4 security.
It has very large space.  If a frame is sent by one device per 100 (msec), The frame counter will expire 13.6 years later

Assuming that it is common key in network, key update needs to be done before the most frequent sender expires frame counter.

So, do we really need to consider about expiration of frame counter and cost of key update?
If the duty is 1%, it requires 1/100 times key update frequency as rich resource device.

Here is questions on the today's slides.

Questions:
1. There is necessity of receiving WK from R9 for Cons of [1] and there is unnecessity of receiving WK for Pros of [3]. However, [3]
requires R0 devices to send WK to R9. What is the difference? It looks that both methods requires secure transportation of key. Not
only [1] and [3] but [2] looks to require it.

2. Even if WK is common key in the network, R9 can kick out any device during key update period if they key transport mechanism is
used per device in [2].

I think we can summarize as following.

Do we use secured key transportation to share the key or do we use key derivation method with using password?
Former one is approach of ENET single hop HAN and latter is one of ENET B-route.

If we use key transportation, which do we use for it - password per device or common in network? This key is different from common
wk key.
 - if it is per device, R9 can kick R0/R1 during key update and R9 can provide either 'per link' WK key and 'common' WK key.
 - if it is common in NWK, R9 cannot choose R0/R1 to be kicked and R9 can provide 'common' WK key only.
If we use password to derivate key like ENET B-route, is it shared one or per devices?

Summarized into 4 methods
[1] Per Device Key Transport, Common WK key, Pro: Broadcast, Individual kickout
[2] Common Key Transport, Common WK key, Pro: Broadcast
[3] Derivation from per device password, Pro: key transport unnecessary, kickout
[4] Derivation from common password, Pro: key transport unnecessary, easy handling

Questions and comments are welcomed.

Best regards,
Noriyuki Sato