[wi-sun rlmmwg] Security Features in RLMM Profile 1v01

rverotiana at nict.go.jp rverotiana at nict.go.jp
Wed Jun 29 03:33:29 PDT 2016

Dear Yamada-san and all,

>From our last call I believe we are down to a choice between [2] and [3].

If my understanding is correct, here are the things we should consider in this discussion:

*The key update frequency depends on:

- the R1/R9 traffic (traffic to and from R0 is bound by their duty
cycle and is less significant in the key update frequency)
- the number of R1 devices in the network
- others?

*The following implementation cases are possible:

- Many R1, low traffic (Key update frequency similar to the R0
wake-up frequency) ==> [2]
- Many R1, high traffic ==> [3], but broadcast become costly
(multiple unicasts).
        o   If broadcast transmissions are frequent, [2] is better
        o   Another option would be to have a common key for R1s and unique respective keys for R0
- Low number of R1 (most devices are R0) or only R0 ==> [2] or [3].
        o   If [3], broadcasts can be handled with multiple unicast transmissions synchronized with the duty cycle of R0.
- Others?

So far, there is no strict definition or requirement on few/many R1 or high/low traffic.
Therefore, one of the most feasible/preferable choice might be "to simply hold those two options."

This might help the discussion tomorrow.

Best regards,

Verotiana