[wi-sun rlmmwg] Discussion on NWK layer (Re: WebEx meeting invitation: Wi-SUN RLMM WG TC on Fri. 14:30-15:30 JST)

Ryota Yamada ryamada at ari.ncl.omron.co.jp
Wed Apr 1 15:52:03 PDT 2015

Dear RLMM WG members,

I would like to share current points of discussion on NWK layer. If you
have any comments or suggestions, please share through e-mail reflector
or contact me.

In the next call which we will have tomorrow on Apr. 3rd from 14:30 JST,
we will continue our discussion. If you could provide your answers prior
to the call by 13:00 JST on Apr. 3rd, I can summarize them into slides.
That will be helpful for our discussion.

The slides which we used in the last call and referred from following
explanation are available from here:
https://dms.wi-sun.org/htcomnet/Handlers/Download.ashx?action=download&file=M2MIG%2F20150327%20RLMM%20WG%20TC%200v00.pptx

1. Special Address: There is an proposal for having special address such
as 0x0000 for PAN Coordinator. More details are described on the page 8
of the slides. In the last call, there were no comments about this
point. I would like to ask members regarding following two points:
Q1-1. Is there any objection to have Special Address?
Q1-2. If we have Special Address, is there any other Special Address you
want to specify other than these 3 addresses?:
  - 0xfffe meaning "Device will use extended address"
  - 0xffff meaning "Device is not associated"
  - 0x0000 for PAN Coordinator

2. Assignment of 16bit Address: It is proposed to have "Static 16-bit
Address" to save power. More details are described on the page 9 on the
slides. In the last call, there were no objection to have Static 16-bit
Address and it is mentioned that Static 16-bit Address will be good for
small network. I would like to ask members regarding following two points:
Q2-1. Is there any objection to have Special Address?
Q2-2. Do we specify how to assign 16-bit address in our specification?
Which of the following options do you prefer? We have two options now:
Option 1: Just specify to assign unique 16bit address, but do not
specify how to assign in our specification;
Option 2: Option 2: Specify mechanism for assigning 16bit address and
make idea of “Static 16bit address” as an option

3. Mechanism for Assigning 16-bit Address Automatically
In case we choose Option 2 for Q2-2, we need some mechanism for
assigning 16-bit address automatically. We have two methods proposed
now. More details are available on the page 10 of the slides. In the
last call, regarding second method assigning random address, it is
commented that it was not a good option from power perspective and
possibility of having to rectify duplicate addresses. Points of the
discussion are summarized in the page 3 of the minutes available from
here:
https://dms.wi-sun.org/htcomnet/Handlers/Download.ashx?action=download&file=M2MIG%2F20150327%20Minutes%20of%20RLMM%20WG%20TC%20on%20Mar%2027th%202015%200v01.docx
I would like to ask members regarding following two points:
Q3-1. If you know some standards on assigning addresses which can be
employed in our specification, please let me know.
Q3-2. If you have any specific methods you can provide, please let me know.

Best regards,
Ryota

--